• Digital Scrapbooking
    Click here to read more about new layouts, new designs from some of the best designers around the digital scrapbooking world. And layouts from me!
    Learn more
  • Everyday Life
    Click here to read more about my day-to-day life! It isn't always boring. haha.
    Learn more
  • Autumn & Digital Scrapbooking
    Check out Summer digital scrapbooking ideas and supplies. From 2023 and all the way back to the start of Shawn Bear Scraps!
    Learn more
Hey there!
Welcome to Shawn Bear Scraps! I’ve been digital scrapbooking for 14 years. This is my little corner of the internet to showcase my digital scrapbooking layouts, designs from creative teams I am on, and the latest digital scrapbooking supplies I am fangirling over! I am a 39 year old wife and mom. I live in Georgia, here in the states. I am a Jesus believing, panda loving, digi scrapping, photo taking, memory making, true crime watching, historical fiction reading, nap taking, hike going, football yelling, introverted nerd.
WANNA KNOW MORE?
READ MORE

Book Review | The Summer Queen by Elizabeth Chadwick


I probably should start out with the formalities of this book review. I bought this book and at full Amazon price. No one reached out to me to write a review, or anything of that sort. All links in this post are just plain links, unless otherwise notated. I should also give you the forewarning that this is a book review from an everyday average reader. You will not find a deep literary debate or anything that will give you the feel of sitting in a Lit class. Just plain old me and my thoughts on a book I sat down and read. Oh...and that is Gizmo. Nothing beats snuggling up in bed with a good book and a kitty! Now...on to the review!

The Summer Queen: A Novel of Eleanor of Aquitaine by Elizabeth Chadwick


I got this notion in my head a few weeks ago that I wanted to start really reading again. It has been ages since I sat down and just read. I mean really, who has time for that! I was going to make time though. And not only was I going to start reading again, but I wanted to hold a real book in my hand while doing so. I am not a real-book snob. Most of what I have read over the past few years has been on my kindle. But I just wanted to hold a book. Call me old fashioned.

Where to start? I jumped on Amazon and it suggested this book to me straight out of the gate. I am sure it is because I have bought books like this in the past. Thanks for the suggestion Amazon. In to the cart it went! As soon as it came in, I started reading and zoomed through 3/4 of the book in a weekend. I couldn't put it down. Was it because the book was amazing, or was it because I was just really into reading?

What is the book about? 

Well, as the complete title tells you, it is about Eleanor of Aquitaine. If you don't know who that is. She was a French & English queen from the 1100s. And if you don't know who she is, you probably have heard of at least two of her children. Richard Lionheart & his brother John. But I am getting a head of myself. This book is just the start of her life. Here is what Amazon has to say about this book:

At the age of thirteen, Eleanor of Aquitaine is forced to leave everything behind, marry a man she doesn't love, and take the throne to reign as Queen of France. Eleanor's new life is full of risk―and unlimited opportunity. Barely out of childhood and faced with great scandals, fraught relationships, and forbidden love at every turn, Eleanor must use all her cunning to secure her future as one of the most powerful women in the world.


This the 1st of 3 books. All spanning marked points in Eleanor's life. This starts right before she becomes Duchess of Aquitaine and carries through her span as the Queen of France.  Ending right as she is about to step into the role of Queen of England. I don't want to give too much away. I mean the main parts are actual history. But still. I don't want to re-write the book in my own words.

 

My Thoughts on the Book

I would like to stay from the start that if you avoid reading books that have adult situations in them, then you probably don't want to read this book. I am not one for sitting down and reading erotica. I didn't even jump on the "50 Shades of Gray" bandwagon. But it doesn't bother me to read what was in this book. It didn't take away from the book. After all, we are reading a book about adults and their drama filled lives. One review I read said that they could get history from another source. They couldn't stand reading the sex. I am a firm believer you shouldn't be getting your history from historical fiction anyway. That would be like learning about the Tudors from watching their HBO series....

So that aside. I really liked this book. I read most of it in one weekend. If I am taking time to sit down and read, the book has about 2 chapters to hook me. Otherwise, I am putting it down and moving on to the next one. This book hooked me in the first few chapters. It read really well. The conversations were natural, and it was just descriptive enough. (I am not a fan of over the top descriptive writing. I build scenes in my head without it). I didn't really have much of a problem with the book.

Now, I do know a bit about Eleanor from lectures and history books from my past. I have also read other historical fiction about her. Being that far back in history, even for a double-queen, you kind of get what you get as far as knowing her true personality. The Summer Queen seems pretty spot on for other books (historical & fiction) that I have read; as far as who Eleanore was as a person. What is different is the relationships she had. The good, bad, and ugly.

Take her relationship to King Louis. From other readings, he was always presented as a tortured soul, who was basically a good religious person. That he was thrust into being King and was well out of his depth. Maybe a bit feckless. Causing him to be more ruled by others, instead of the ruler. The Summer Queen basically takes all that, amps it up, and turns him into a villain. Kind of turned my stomach when reading about him in this book. Which I feel might be her point. Is that good or bad? Right or wrong? Well...the burning of the church at Vitry-le-François is historical fact. And from everything that I have read, he was personally involved in that. That makes him pretty villainous in my book!

Her relationship with her Uncle, sister, and another courtier is a bit different than what I have read in other things as well. Again, fiction and historical. The drama seems to be really played up in this book. Which I actually liked. Made for fun reading.

If historical fiction is your thing, I do suggest this book. I will let you know at the end of book 3 if I suggest the series or not. It is a larger book. Over 500 pages long. Not necessarily a "light read". But as far as the horrible things of history as Vitry-le-François and the crusades, it is. It gives you what you need to know that they happened, and that they were horrible. But it is more the intrigues of Eleanor herself. And if you think that those intrigues do not involve crusades, you would be wrong. Eleanor actually went on crusades. She went as far as Jerusalem.



I digress. I did say I didn't want to re-tell the story. I want you to read it it, and come back and tell me what you think. And I have a great place you can buy them! While looking for the other 2 books of this series, I stumbled upon Thrift Books. It is exactly as it sounds. A thrift store for books! As of writing this, you can get The Summer Queen as low as $4.19. I got 3 books on my first order for the price of one on Amazon.

This is Wolfie snuggling down with my purchase of books. It took 8 full days (or 6 business days) to get my purchase. I could have gotten them all the next day via Amazon. But, I would much rather get 3 books for the price of one, and have to wait a bit. The link for Thrift Books on this blog will give you 15% off your purchase. Yay! And in the spirit of full disclosure, it will give me points towards my "reading rewards". Which after so many points, you get a free book.

That is all I have for today. Please let me know if you read this book, or if you have read it already. I am all for some book discussion. Also, if you have any book suggestions send them my way! I love book suggestions.

Oh, and one more thing. If you are a podcast listener and love history, I highly suggest The History Chicks. They have a episode on Eleanor of Aquitaine!