• Digital Scrapbooking
    Click here to read more about new layouts, new designs from some of the best designers around the digital scrapbooking world. And layouts from me!
    Learn more
  • Everyday Life
    Click here to read more about my day-to-day life! It isn't always boring. haha.
    Learn more
  • Autumn & Digital Scrapbooking
    Check out Summer digital scrapbooking ideas and supplies. From 2023 and all the way back to the start of Shawn Bear Scraps!
    Learn more
Hey there!
Welcome to Shawn Bear Scraps! I’ve been digital scrapbooking for 14 years. This is my little corner of the internet to showcase my digital scrapbooking layouts, designs from creative teams I am on, and the latest digital scrapbooking supplies I am fangirling over! I am a 39 year old wife and mom. I live in Georgia, here in the states. I am a Jesus believing, panda loving, digi scrapping, photo taking, memory making, true crime watching, historical fiction reading, nap taking, hike going, football yelling, introverted nerd.
WANNA KNOW MORE?
READ MORE

Book Review | "A Court of Thorns and Roses" by Sarah J. Maas

 


Hello! Back on my goals email from Monday, I mentioned that I was already one book down in my "read 20 books" goal for 2023. I am nearly done with book #2 as well. However, I wanted to stop by here and do a little book review. 

I should probably start out by saying I am not very literary. I am not going to mention (or probably even notice while reading) literary devices. No noticing of foreshadowing, symbolism, or juxtaposition. I read for entertainment only. I don't find entertainment in dissecting writing from that stand point. I will over analyze every thought or action a character does. I am pretty good at figuring out who the ultimate villian is or seeing through a character's veiled disguise. Is that the same thing? Maybe in the most basic view of it. But it is also how I live my actual life. lol All that is to say that you will not find that kind of review here. This is basically just my thoughts on this book. 

Why Did I Choose this Book? 

Well, I wanted to read more this year. Like I said back on Monday's post, my reading was stagnate. I was bored with my comfort genre. And I always have said I am not a fan of fantasy. That was my husband, and my mom's thing. They will gobble up some fantasy novels. To me, that genre is over done. And a lot of times (to me) doesn't seem to be done well. Almost rushed out because it is such a popular genre. And yes, I understand that Harry Potter falls in this genre. But that was my extent of fantasy. 

Jeremy has always said I would enjoy it. That a lot of times there are strong female characters in these kinds of books. But everyone I picked up...ugh. And if you put vampires in it, I am out. I cannot stand the idea of vampires. 

Anyway, I was looking around for a book to read. I saw this book series pop up on "booktok" a lot. And then it popped up while I was digging around for a book. After reading the reviews and then seeing it was going to be a TV series, I took the leap and bought it. But it better pull me in chapter one, or I was out! (I am horrible like that. But remember...it's entertainment. I shouldn't have to work at it)

My Overall Thoughts on ACOTAR

Well, it did. I was hooked chapter 1. I will say that I didn't enjoy the characters. But sometimes the best writing is when you could crawl in the book and smack the tar out of characters. Even the main character drove me batty most of the book. But the author's way of describing people and places is like you are there experiencing it 1st hand. There was world building. But it isn't drudging through (like LOTR). It is peppered in while everything else is going on around you. I can see the people, places, and things in my head. Which in the later part of the book is almost a bit difficult to experience. 

This book (and from what I can see from the 2nd book) is an essay on trauma and how people deal with it, overcome it, and live with it. "A Court of Thorns and Roses" has the baseline of childhood and familial trauma. How a lot of who we become as adults can be based off the traumas of our childhood. How crappy adults can make amazing but damaged adults from their children. How you can rise from horribly adverse conditions to make a life for yourself. By fighting for that right! And how you can be rich or poor but still experience having to live through and get through familial trauma. 

It is more than that though. It is told in a retailing of a classic fairytale. I started to get the feeling of that pretty early on in. When they go from one world to another. That is when it hit. And when I googled it. Yep, it was intentional. It is a retailing of that story. I wont tell you which, because it will give a bit away I think. 

There is love, fantasy, a little bit of spice, fighting, lies, drama and trauma through this book. There are laws, games, and winners and losers. But winning comes with a price. Which if you read book two, it goes into that more. (so far anyway). I found myself routing for some people, and wishing others would expire. I was routing the main character on while rolling my eyes at how obstinate and annoying she was. I of course cheered at the end, and felt a bit sad while doing it. 

Final Thoughts

I am trying to review this book without giving things away. I hope that is being conveyed and that it isn't to vague. This is a well written and easy to read series. The characters are mostly well developed and easy to love or hate. The world is built around you and doesn't feel like work getting through it. It rich with lore and brimming with the beauty of seasons and of day and night. It has the familiarity of an old fairytale and a touch of mythology. 

  • Would I suggest this book to others? Yes! I already have. 
  • Will I keep reading this series? Yes! I already am. 
  • Will I watch the TV Series? Yes, I sure will. Thankfully it is on Hulu and not CW. lol 
  • How would I rate this book? 4.5/5 stars. I rarely rate books 5/5. I took a half a star because a few parts of the book are easy to see coming a mile away and predictable. And although I don't mind characters getting under my skin. The main character is a little too annoying. 

Could it be my favorite series? If booktok is correct, it might be! And with my ADHD brain liking to hyper fixate and geek out on things...It is a strong possibility. I think for book #2, which I am currently reading, I will give a spoiler alert and go in a lot more detail. Break things down a bit more. 

That is it for me today. I am off to read some more. And maybe scrap some more. 

Have you read this book? Would you read this book? Please let me know in the comments!