• Digital Scrapbooking
    Click here to read more about new layouts, new designs from some of the best designers around the digital scrapbooking world. And layouts from me!
    Learn more
  • Everyday Life
    Click here to read more about my day-to-day life! It isn't always boring. haha.
    Learn more
  • Autumn & Digital Scrapbooking
    Check out Summer digital scrapbooking ideas and supplies. From 2023 and all the way back to the start of Shawn Bear Scraps!
    Learn more
Hey there!
Welcome to Shawn Bear Scraps! I’ve been digital scrapbooking for 14 years. This is my little corner of the internet to showcase my digital scrapbooking layouts, designs from creative teams I am on, and the latest digital scrapbooking supplies I am fangirling over! I am a 39 year old wife and mom. I live in Georgia, here in the states. I am a Jesus believing, panda loving, digi scrapping, photo taking, memory making, true crime watching, historical fiction reading, nap taking, hike going, football yelling, introverted nerd.
WANNA KNOW MORE?
READ MORE

This Mom's Re-evaluated Thoughts on Homework


If you were a reader of March to December, you will know my stance on homework. If not, you can read that whole article HERE.

To sum it up for those who don't know or don't feel like reading another article. I didn't believe in homework. Not one jot. I didn't believe in it when I was a kid. In fact so much so that I nearly failed the 6th grade, and had to go around daily to get teachers to sign off on a homework ledger. Adult La'Shawn didn't believe in it either. I made my son do it. After all, we all have to do things we don't like to do. I didn't push and pressure him though. My thoughts were that what good is 1hr of school work after sitting still all day and learning going to help? In fact, this was my exact thought on it...
I can only speak for myself and my son. That being said, homework does not help him (or me when I was a child) learn or retain anything I learned. That is outside just writing over and over helps him with his penmanship. The whole "practice makes perfect" line just does not apply. Homework isn't doing the same thing day in and day out. It is different tasks everyday. Coming home and doing an hours worth of work with a parent who isn't a teacher isn't going to be practice. Only a practice in futility.

 Alright folks. Are you ready to watch me eat a slice of humble pie? Like most everyone, I don't enjoy admitting I am wrong. I absolutely will do it though. Nothing is really gained by being stubborn and not doing so. So here we go...

I WAS WRONG!


Not long after I wrote that article about, This Mom's Thoughts on Homework I had the yearly parent-teacher conference. A parent-teacher conference that I left in tears. Sobbing tears. Not to drag my son's business out on the internet for the world to see now and in the future, but he was struggling. And I was failing as a parent.

I am supposed to be here to help him along, not hinder him. I especially didn't need to imprint my crappy attitude about homework on to him. As his parent, I should have been more focused on what he needed, than what I thought. With that in mind, I shook off the disappointment and re-focused on him. My husband, the kiddo's teachers, and myself got together and came up with a plan. Want to know what that plan was?

More Homework

That's right folks. More homework. On top of his daily homework (Sun-Thurs) he has practice homework in nearly every subject. He has fun online games he can play (homework in disguise. lol) He has twice-a-week tutoring (pre-homework). We went from doing daily homework begrudgingly to homework pouring out our ears while we do it with a smile on our face.

Do I like homework now? No. Do I wish there was some other way? Yes! Have I changed my opinion on homework? Absolutely.

Each kid is different; and each kid's homework need is different. As my MeeMaw says, "If we were all the same, what a boring world this would be!" My son just so happens to be one that not only benefits from homework, but needs it. Needs lots of it. Other kids might not need it or benefit from it. It could very easily be only a practice in futility. That being said, this mom's narrow-minded opinion on homework has changed. Just so happens I needed God kicking my rear to make me do it. Nothing like failing your own child to open one's eyes! 

...and just for the record....The kiddo has excelled since all this extra homework. All his grades have come up to where we knew he should have been. While I am stating things for the record, let me take another slice of that humble pie. My son enjoys the extra work. He knows it is helping him; and he is proud of every milestone he makes because of it. Maybe I should take a page from his book and be a bit more open to things. 

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest and for reading it. Have you ever had your mind changed from something you were staunchly against/for? What are your thoughts on homework?