• Digital Scrapbooking
    Click here to read more about new layouts, new designs from some of the best designers around the digital scrapbooking world. And layouts from me!
    Learn more
  • Everyday Life
    Click here to read more about my day-to-day life! It isn't always boring. haha.
    Learn more
  • Autumn & Digital Scrapbooking
    Check out Summer digital scrapbooking ideas and supplies. From 2023 and all the way back to the start of Shawn Bear Scraps!
    Learn more
Hey there!
Welcome to Shawn Bear Scraps! I’ve been digital scrapbooking for 14 years. This is my little corner of the internet to showcase my digital scrapbooking layouts, designs from creative teams I am on, and the latest digital scrapbooking supplies I am fangirling over! I am a 39 year old wife and mom. I live in Georgia, here in the states. I am a Jesus believing, panda loving, digi scrapping, photo taking, memory making, true crime watching, historical fiction reading, nap taking, hike going, football yelling, introverted nerd.
WANNA KNOW MORE?
READ MORE

Sisters by Birth. Best Friends by Choice

With a certain someone's birthday on the horizon, I thought I would talk about said person. My sister. She is my sister by birth (of course), but she is my best friend by choice!

I am one blessed woman. I grew up with my best friend. A bit before I was 2 years old, my sister was born. There are probably no two people more different than my sister and I. However, she was my "better half", for most my life. All those years before we became married.

Why is she my better half? She is the person I have always looked up to. Well, for as long as I can remember. I am sure I didn't look up to her when I was a toddler. I was too busy bossing her around, sneakily trying to get her in trouble, and teaching her to talk. When we got older though, I realized (even though sometimes it was begrudgingly) she was that person in my life that I looked up to.

She is a go-getter type of person. I am a "Eh, I'll get to it tomorrow" kinda gal. She is a goal setter and accomplisher. I am more of a lets just see what this life throws my way. She is quiet and laid back. Ha ha ha. You've met me right? I am just not that...at all. She graduated salutatorian of her class. It wasn't even a full point between her and the valedictorian. I am sure my family was just happy that I graduated! She got married and still managed to finish college. Went back and got numerous additions to her degree while having 3 kids! I didn't get married before or during college and still couldn't manage to get my lazy bum up to complete college.

I am not saying any of these things to say she is better than I am. I know that if I was saying this to my parents or my husband, they would say no one person is better than the other. We are just different. My strengths lie elsewhere. I am just not listing them right now. I am listing these things that I admire about my sister.

I do look up to her. I admire her. Even in all that. She is the one person in this world that has lived the (near exact) life that I have. We grew up together. We experienced the same things. The good. The bad. We can be having a conversation about things and just end with, "Ugh! You know what I mean, right?" and she does. No one else does. They sympathize. They don't know, though.

I am beyond blessed to have grown up with my best friend. To have had that best friend be the person I look up to. To have that person, now, live just down the street from me. For her boys and my son to be best friends. They are the closest things Z has to brothers. For her to be a text or a phone call away. For our lunches. For our giggles when no one else gets what we are giggling about. For those moments when people look at us and say, "This has to be your sister!".

I love my sister and I wouldn't trade her for the world.
I probably would have when I was younger. I remember trying to convince that platinum blonde headed girl she was adopted. lol. I remember one ride home from school me screaming at the top of my lungs at her. Now, I wouldn't. Not for the world!

She is my sister by birth but my best friend by choice!

I love you sissy!
Terrible quality, I know.
It is a scan-in of a tiny photo.


Who is your better half? Now or before you became a Mrs./Mr.? 

Have a great weekend!!